Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Refuge From the Storm

Justin and I got to go with the youth in our stake to Wyoming for our Stake Trek. We went to Martin's Cove and Sweetwater Crossing/6th Crossing. We left the evening of Wednesday July 20th and got home on Saturday July 23rd. It was wonderful to be there but even more wonderful to spend time with this amazing guy!
I didn't take many pictures and I wish that I had taken more. It was a wonderful experience and it was probably wonderful because I didn't have any responsibilities while I was there. Justin went as a stake Young Men's leader and I was the tag-a-long. Justin was over transportation and that didn't require a lot during the trek. We just enjoyed the feeling while we were there and spent time getting to know many amazing youth and adults.

We were in the Green company and this wonderful couple were a Ma and Pa in that company. Angie and Mark Giles. We did most of our trekking with them and their family.

This was a view coming out of Martin's Cove.


This was taken during our lunch break that first afternoon. There were handcarts all over and it was quite the site.





The shelter was a wonderful thing and held pretty much all of our group (about 290 people).

We took a break on the trail and so I grabbed a quick picture of Justin and I! We didn't do too bad with all of the walking. We had plenty of water that first day but on Friday, our water was running short. I couldn't wait to get back to camp to get more water. I couldn't imagine being a pioneer and not having the comfort of 'heading back to camp' at the end of a long day of walking. It was a humbling experience.

This was the line for the girls on one of our bathroom breaks on Friday. The boys were lucky enough to drop down off the trail and get relief but that wasn't the case for us girls! It was good, though, to have a long break and rest during these bathroom breaks!

I loved every minute of trek! I would go again if the opportunity came to me. I wish that Austin was old enough to have gone with us. We only took 14 year olds and up with us. It was very well organized. The Young Men and Young Women leaders spent many hours preparing so that it would run smooth. It did. The youth all enjoyed their time. There were activities during our time at camp, we had a band come on Friday night and perform for us (drums and guitars! It was awesome!) We experienced a women's pull while the men were all called away to serve missions or help with the Mormon Battallion. It wasn't a very long pull but it was a little steep. I think the boys and men were very humbled to stand on the side and watch us pull. They were instructed to not say anything and not offer to help. There was definitely a spiritual feeling during that time. Quite a few emotions came out during and after the pull.


We came home on Saturday and pulled into town as the Stake Pioneer party was starting. They had all of the families that were there create a path for us to walk by as we made our way to the party. Talk about being emotional! I didn't think I would be that emotional over it but as I watched families get excited to see the buses show up, and then reach out to their children that had been gone, it made me think of how pioneers must have felt. How we will be received by the many that have gone on before us. It was a spiritual experience I won't forget soon.


I am grateful my sister was willing to watch my kids while Justin and I were on Trek. I truly am blessed with so much in my life. I know that I take too many things for granted and this experience has reminded me to enjoy things in my life. Not get so wound up with making everything in my life perfect. Hopefully I can pass this on to my kids and help them become more thankful for what they have been given!

No comments: