Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Few Pics of Why No Posts

This is what has occupied most of my August:
Beets from our garden. We should have planted more of them. We only had 1/2 a row worth and one Monday, Justin decided to pull all of them up. We got 7 quarts done that day and we really needed more than that. Next year we'll know. It was our first time canning beets and they turned out pretty good.
We planted peas- just for us to eat! I didn't want to can or freeze any of it! The kids loved going out and picking peas and sitting on the back porch, chillin'! My girls were so excited to see carrots from our garden. We still have some things to figure out to get bigger carrots. Maybe next year we won't plant so many in one row!!! We're learning!

We are NOT having a problem with our zucchini. It's probably a good thing that our whole row of zucchini didn't grow. I replanted about 9 plants and have had 3 plants growing like crazy. I get about 7-8 zucchini every 4-5 days! They aren't little either!

This is one of the medium sized ones!
My husband was good enough to go and get me a shredder for my KitchenAid! That has been a lifesaver with all of the zucchini I've been shredding. We have made some yummy zucchini bread the last month! Probably too much zucchini bread. I can feel all of it sitting on my thighs! It's so very yummy though!!
Yes, my garden is work but I love seeing/eating all of the food from it! We know better now what to do different for next year. I can't wait to see if our corn tastes good here soon! Hopefully it doesn't freeze before we get our corn harvested!

4 comments:

Jamie H. said...

Wow! You go girl!! Looks like you have been busy! I've missed you!!

Jenna said...

yum yum!! I may ahve to come steal a zuchinni while you're not looking! :)

Kylene said...

You'll have to share all your gardening secrets with me! I covet your garden every time I drive by. ;)

Anne said...

Looks like you HAVE been busy! I love getting yummy veggies from my garden.