Thursday, June 3, 2010

Finally!!!

We haven't planted many gardens but the ones we've planted have usually been planted before Memorial Day. If we were still in Kuna, we would have planted in April. Not the case here. It's been so cold here that we've had snow a couple of times in the month of May. The one weekend that we had nice weather was the weekend that we were busy with other things. We finally took some time on Monday (Memorial Day) and got up early to get our garden in. It was a beautiful day and we got all of it planted. The boys got up at 6 am to go put flags up around the neighborhood. It was a scout fundraiser. I love to drive around and see all of the yards with a flag waving. It makes me a little teary eyed!

We got started on the garden about 7:30 that morning. I have a wonderful husband who is a perfectionist. It bugs him to have crooked rows in a garden and so we HAVE to have string for our rows. They first had to measure the garden and make sure they put stakes in the right spot for the string. (I do need to mention that my husband spent about 2 hours planning our garden layout. He was on the computer one Sunday afternoon and had a spreadsheet all done up with how our garden was to be done. He had measurements and even cute little plants on the spreadsheet. I was very impressed! We used the paper when we planted and it went very smooth!)
The kids were a great help in getting the stakes set and the string tied around each stake.
Mayci just loves being outside and she thought it was great to have everyone outside all day long with her!
Our garden is a good size. It's 67'x 26'. Not as big as the one we had in Inkom but still a good size. After getting it all planted I was wishing we had made it bigger. I want to can/bottle lots of things this fall. We don't have any grass in our backyard and we could have done the entire lot with our garden. Oh well, this is a great start.

After we got most of the garden planted, we decided to take a break and head into town to get some lunch. Before we left, we decided to mow our yard, I mean weeds! Our lot is full of rocks and so the kids spent most of the morning picking up rocks. Justin started mowing and decided the kids needed to walk around with him while he mowed and pick up rocks and other stuff that was all over the lot. It took them awhile to get the yard mowed. I worked on the front flower beds while they mowed.
Our weeds were up to Braydon's knees.
The weeds weren't all ugly though. We had some pretty purple colors in our backyard. I've decided the purple wasn't as bad to look at as the yellow dandelions.
Mayci had fun playing in the back of Justin's truck.
The kids were so excited to have lunch at Arctic Circle. I was just glad that I didn't have to try and come up with something to make that day. It was a long weekend and I was exhausted from planting and working in the yard. The kids worked hard and deserved a fun lunch!
Mayci had her chocolate milk gone before her meal came out to her. She loves having her own chocolate milk.

My two boys love having pop when we go out to eat. They really love to have a suicide (putting a little of all the drinks in their cup).
Don't know what to say about this boy except that I love him!! Even if he is a little goofy!

Love these two cute girls. They did a great job helping out with the yard and didn't complain hardly at all. They are troopers! (Don't get me wrong. They were as tired as I was and they didn't work the fastest. They did work though!)

You can't forget the courtesy cones when you go to Arctic Circle. They brought them around and Mayci squealed and said, "Nicecream". She takes after her mom. She'd be good with icecream every meal and every snack!
I just hope that we actually have something grow in this cold climate! We should stay plenty busy this summer! My kids will just love all the weeds they will get to pull when they are bored the next few months!

2 comments:

Jamie H. said...

Now, THAT is a big garden!! Don't feel bad about getting your garden in late. Darin put the first half of ours in on Memorial Day, too. The 2nd half might be in before Labor Day. We'll see!! :)

Brookie said...

oh my gosh, that garden is huge!!! it is freezing in boise too!