Friday, June 4, 2010

New Life

We found this Wednesday night when we opened up the grill the other night:
We have been checking often on these eggs. We've had the nest for the past month or so and it's been fun to lift the lid to the grill and peek in on the eggs. There were 6 eggs at one point but right now there are only 5 eggs. Actually 4 now that one has hatched.

We were walking home from the park the other night and I decided to open up the lid to check on the eggs. I was startled when I opened it up and a mouth was opened searching for food. It was really kind of fun to see. This morning when I went out to get a picture, we found the bird resting on top of the other eggs. It's kind of an ugly bird but still fun to see such a young one. We thought that it was a Robin's nest but after seeing the momma bird, it's actually a black bird. Kind of a bummer! It's still fun to see this happen.

Update on the Kildeer- The eggs hatched about 2 weeks ago. We woke up one morning and saw 4 baby birds hopping around with the mom. The day or 2 before that there were no birds. Just the momma bird staying firmly put on the nest. So it was interesting to see the baby birds all of a sudden. What was more interesting was that I was planning on going out to take a picture of the birds. The kids left for school about 8:15 and I headed out there to take a picture of the babies and they were gone. Not only were they gone but their eggs were gone too. There was not a trace of birds living there at all. We wonder where they went and if they are ok. I miss watching and hearing the Kildeer.

1 comment:

Courtney Palfreyman said...

Your story sounds EXACTLY like what happened in our BBQ. The day the eggs hatched we got pictures. All but 1 egg hatched. Then the next day I went to check on them and make sure they didn't fry our one hot day. To my surprise they were gone. The only thing left in that next was the egg that didn't hatch. I wondered what had happened--if something got them, but figured it would have eaten the left egg. Now hearing your story, that just must be what happens with those birds. They pack up and leave.