Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Worth It

I got this last night-

I have a wonderful calling in our ward. I get to teach the 5/6 year olds. Yes, there are days where I wonder if they even heard anything I said to them. There are times that all I hear are things like, "My dog is dead", "My fingernail got ripped off after I fell off my bike", "My grandma lives somewhere far away", "What's your favorite color? Mine is blue, pink, red, yellow, purple....", and "Did you bring treats today?"
I wouldn't trade these precious little ones for anything. I love telling them stories. Their eyes get wide when I say I have a story to tell and all of the talking stops. They almost end up on the edge of their seats as I tell them a story. It's even more exciting when it's a personal story of mine. They have so many questions some Sundays. I love it even more when I ask the questions and I get these amazing answers from the kids in my class. They all have been raised by amazing parents that have taught them gospel principles.
One of the girls in my class, Hallie, is one of those girls that isn't afraid to answer a question, or tell me what is on her mind. I know when it's been a rough morning at her house when she comes in and sits quietly and she seems to not remember any of the answers to questions that I've asked her in past lessons. For the most part though, she is the most loving child. She is always smiling and has these beautiful eyes. Her mom always does her hair up so fun. She in many ways is so much like her mother. I haven't known this family for very long but I know enough to know that they are very thoughtful.
This gift of bread was so fitting to the families personality. Hallie came up to the door with her sister and they handed me this bread. I just couldn't help but give them both a great big hug (mostly so I wouldn't cry. I tend to do that often). I don't post this to brag or to make it out that I'm this amzing Primary teacher. I post this to remind me just how much my Heavenly Father loves me. I get to experience gospel principles firsthand from amazing 5 year olds. If only I'd work harder at living more like these children, what a difference it would make in my life. They love people for who they are. Regardless!
Thank you, Hallie, for being an amazing example to me!!!
PS- The bread was delicious and yes I did share it with my kids!!

No comments: