Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Run?

I ran my first 5k! Sure, I've done a few other 5k's but I have never run the entire 5k. My goal for this one was to run and not walk at all! I didn't start training for it until 2 weeks before and I felt really good the entire race. This was the first time I have ever participated in a race this big before. There were 15,000 racers. It was the Race for the Cure race here in Boise. It was kind of cool to see the flood of people there to race. I went with a group of gals that I go and exercise with. It made it fun to be there with a fun group of gals. My time wasn't the best but not the worst either. I came in at 32:00 but it did take me about 2 minutes to actually start going. With that many people racing, it's impossible to start at the same time. I didn't expect anything for this race. Only to run the entire thing. So, I accomplished my goal. I'll have to sign up for some other 5k's this summer and work on getting my time down. It's funny though. I hate to run and in the last month I've had this desire to start running. It might be because that's the only time it's just me. I don't have 5 kids to take care of, no list of chores to get done, no errands to run, no church items to take care of. It's just the ipod and me. I might become a runner. (Actually, just a really fast jogger.)
Me with my good friend, Leslie. Thanks for making me go! Can't wait for the next race!
Here's a before of half of the group that ran the race. We didn't get an after shot because we were too busy getting all of the free samples of Chocolate milk, fruit, yogurt, popsicles, you know, all the fun stuff! Maybe next time I can get my family to meet me at the finish line!

2 comments:

JoJo said...

Running is sure tough at times, but so satisfying too huh?

Anne said...

Good for you! I keep saying one of these days I want to "walk" this race. I'm actually signing up my family to walk/run in the race Kuna has during Kuna Days. I should start training now if that walking fieldtrip our 1st graders took wore me out!

You should feel proud of yourself for accomplishing your goal!