Sunday, September 20, 2009

And the flood gates were opened

I'm not sure I can find the words to express my feelings right now. Ever since we made the decision to move, I knew that this day would come. I really wanted to be selfish and have my time serving last longer than it has. But after my day today, I think I need a break.

Last week I was told that they would be releasing me today. I took it well and didn't even cry. I did good all week long and even felt really positive today that I wouldn't cry. I planned my last sharing time and was excited to share it with the kids. Then, Brother Robinson asked if I'd share my testimony since there was no youth speaker today. That totally messed up my plan of being under control with the crying. Every song after that just brought out all of the tears that I could find in my body. And then some.

Ask anyone that was in church today and they will tell you I was an emotional wreck. I didn't think that being released from Primary President would bring so many tears. It should have brought out the urge to skip and sing. To sigh with relief. This was a calling that I have grown to love and that has stretched me by leaps and bounds. I have had the privilege of spending about 11 of the 13 years I've been married working in the Primary. I can say that this has been the most rewarding calling I've had. Yes, it required me to always be concerned with or express love to a huge number of kids and also adults. I loved every minute of it though.

I know that I was suppose to be the one teaching but I feel like I've gained a better testimony by spending time with these innocent little children. I loved going to church each week and having kids say whatever it was that was on their mind. For the majority of the time, it was a compliment, a positive story, an example of kindness, a smile, and my favorite- a song. Even now as I type, I'm crying as I think of the songs we have been learning for this year and I think of the kids singing the song. Do they really understand the words that they are singing? They will someday when they are older if they don't now. But watching them today, I know that even the youngest ones knew that they were singing about their Father in Heaven. They had huge smiles on their faces as they sang with all their might. Just to get the recognition from their amazing song leader, Sister Seeley.

I'm going to miss all of the late night meetings that we had as a presidency and mostly the runs to the icecream store (aka Coldstone!). It's amazing the bonds that can happen when you have a common goal. I know that the 4 of us ladies were frustrated at times of not having enough people to help serve all of the 160+ kids we watched over. It all seemed to work out though. I learned really quick to have faith that our Heavenly Father will take care of our needs and I'm grateful that I didn't have to serve in this calling on my own. The experiences I've had for the last 2 1/2 years will be with me forever.

However, with that being said, I am a little worried about how I will make the transition from Primary to Sunday School/Relief Society. I'm hoping that we get to learn some sign language with our songs and pass out appreciation treats often. I'd be ok if they threw in some icecream too. I'll miss my Sundays with Leslie and Jamie. They are the lucky ones that get to continue in Primary. Jo and I will have to work hard on keeping each other in our seats in Sunday school for the next few weeks.

Maybe it's a good thing we're moving in a month or so. I won't be tempted to linger in the halls to see what it is I'm missing in primary. There's so much to miss when you have that many kids in one room. Oh, the things the primary room walls could say if they could talk.

I'm thinking positive and hoping for another calling in Primary in our new ward. I'd even be ok with nursery!

8 comments:

Krista said...

You were an amazing Primary President, and I know that first hand. You are a great woman and I admire you so much. I enjoyed the 2 years I was able to serve with you. Speaking of ice cream....let's go get some before you move :)

Melissa Durtschi said...

Oh, Ris... My heart goes out to you. I remember being released from a calling, (not having advanced notice) and I could not quit crying. If I remember correctly, I think I just went home. I feel for you, but in the same turn, cannot wait to see what's waiting for you in southeastern Idaho..HHMMMMMM (Keep us posted!!!)

Bunnell's said...

You and the other ladies did such an amazing job! We miss you and were glad to have your service when we did:)

Grandma Sony said...

Oh Marissa - I so-o remember the day I was released and decided that if I hadn't had the love for the kids - then the tears wouldn't have been there either. I'll take the tears AND the love. But life and growth moves on and the best is yet to come. Know that you are loved by many; including the Lord who will continue to bless you and yours as you bless the lives of others. What an example you are! Thank you for your post - it brought back lots of memories.

Jamie H. said...

Marisa- You have been such a joy to work with in primary! I've learned so much from you and your example. There could be no doubt in any of those childrens' minds that Sis. Pugmire loved them each individually and that she has a strong testimony of Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father. They will always have a place in their hearts for you,as will those of us who worked by your side. Your new ward in IF will be lucky to get you and your family!! I'm sure you have many new and exciting adventures awaiting you there!

Amy said...

I have also been lucky to spend a lot of my married years in the primary, and I think one of the hardest things is to go sit through sunday school and relief society. I remember staying in the halls!! :) Just this year I graduated to YW's. I still miss primary, and b/c our ward is small the first hour of primary all the kids are in class and the presidency does their planning at that time. So I go into the primary room and feed Isaac and chat with the ladies and then I go to YW's the last hour!!! :)

Shannon said...

Thanks you so much for all you did in Primary and for our ward! Thank you for your beautiful testimony. I know that with that beautiful music those little children sing the Holy Ghost can teach them that the principles they are singing are true. I think that is one reason the children spend so much time learning those songs. Amy asks me all the time about the things she sings about. Music is a very powerful tool.

Camille said...

When you were called 2 1/2 years ago (i can't believe it has been that long ago!) to be the president, i knew they called the right person for the job. you were an amazing primary president! i was crying myself reading your post! i know everyone appreciated you and all your hard work and successful efforts! i know you will be missed!