Saturday, September 26, 2009

Time on my hands

I must have some time on my hands. I read 2 books this past week and loved them. They weren't self help books but they were so good. The first one has been made into a movie. I saw the preview a few months back and I thought it looked interesting. Then a few weeks ago, I saw it in the library and decided to check it out. I even got it on cd so the boys listened to it while they went to bed. Austin had to get the book and finish it. He said the lady read too slow. After reading the book, I found out there are 3 other books with it. This is a Young Adult book but I love stories like this!

It's called 'The City of Ember'. It's about a city that has no sun, moon, stars and such. They have lightbulbs everywhere to light their city. The city was created by 2 people and they decided the people they transplanted into this city were only to live in it for 220 years. That's all they could live there for, due to the amount of provisions they left the people. They left instructions with the Mayor in a locked box that would open when it was time for them to leave. The people of the city had no clue there was anything else in life. It makes you think!!!
The second book I read was 'These is my Words'. It was such a fun love story. It was very hard to put down. I caught myself being so tired one night, I jumped into bed and decided to read for just a little bit. I started at 9 pm and decided I'd go to sleep before 10 pm. Well, it was way past 12:30 am when I finally forced myself to put the book away. There are 2 more books to read in this series!

This is about a girl, Sarah, who crosses the plains and she writes in a journal very often. It takes place in the 1880's. She tells about the trials and her feelings. She's kind of a tomboy and doesn't think she'll ever find love. Well, she does, just not from who she thinks!

I love how books can just take you away and let your imagination run! I found myself thinking of the characters in my books while I was doing housework, or what not, and I would get anxious to get to the next part in the book. It's almost sad when I finish a book. There have been many a books that I would read over again and I love that I have some books on my ipod. I can listen to those over and over again. I just love having the possibility of being in a different era or place and experiencing what other people got to experience.
Books! I just love them!

3 comments:

Brookie said...

i love book recommendations:)ill have to read them:) thanks.

Joleen said...

The 3 following books to the City of Ember are really good too!!! (The People of Sparks, The Prophet of Yonwood, The Diamond of Darkhold)
I've never read These is my words, thanks for the recomendation! :D

matheson memories said...

I was given These is my Words from one of my dear friends and I swear I have read that 6 times. I love that book. It's a great one!