Sunday, April 26, 2009

Reap what you sow

For those of you who don't know my husband, he loves details, organization, lists, perfection. I am that way in some areas. When it comes to outside, yard details, I like to see all of that stuff but I don't do good in putting forth the effort to get it to look perfect. My husband on the other hand loves to do that.


We grew a garden back in 2003 that was so big! I was pregnant that summer and taking care of it was very interesting. We survived it though and we loved being able to eat the food out of our own garden. We attempted a garden last year and then left to go to California the first week of June. Our dog got out and trampled all of our garden. We didn't have much of a garden last year. We decided we needed to put more thought into our garden this year and so Justin did his research for us. We don't have a huge back yard and we needed some great ways to get all of our garden in without taking up all of our backyard.


Here's what we did Saturday as a family. Justin used his tape measure to get the rows the exact width apart and marked the fence and the curbing with a permanent marker. He then put screws in the fence so we could put string from the fence to the wooden markers in the grass. He wanted to make sure that our rows were straight this year. (I hope that I planted them straight. He'll have to come up with another way next year to make sure I plant the rows straight!!)

He even wrote on all of the wooden stakes what we planted in each row. We'll take the string and stakes down once we have stuff sprouting up. We want to make sure we actually have stuff coming up first. You don't know what will happen with the really hard dirt we have to plant stuff in.

To solve our problem of not enough room in our yard, he made hanging plant holders. We planted lots of tomatoes and peppers in our buckets. We put 3 holes in each bucket, added potting soil, put the plants in and topped them with a lid. There are holes in the top and bottom of the bucket to allow watering.

What a Genius I have for a Husband!!

It was fun to watch the plants start growing upwards that first day we had them planted. The kids just think it's cool to see the buckets up in the air.

Here's the whole thing that Justin put together. We have pumpkins, squash, cuccumbers, and potatoes underneath all of the buckets. I can't wait for the finished result! We should have lots of Salsa to eat next fall! There's just something satisfying about eating food out of your own garden.
Thanks Justin for all of your hard work and smarts on this little project! I'm glad I get to be your wife. You take such good care of me and the kids. Love you forever! You're the best!!!

3 comments:

Marky Mark and the Funky bunch said...

Great job on the garden! I love the buckets...we are going to try tomatoes this way. I hope you get lots of veggies!!

Camille said...

WOW! It looks great and it will look even better when you can see and eat the results!

Rigby Gang said...

WOW! Can I hire Justin to come get my garden in a straight row. That's half the battle and the other battle is getting my self out there to do it because gardening and yard work is not one of Jaren's best qualities. So if I want anything and I mean anything done outside I have to do it myself. So it would be nice to have a husband like yours.