Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ahhhh

This is what we've been snacking on and adding to our meals the past 2 weeks or so!
Our garden is coming along good. I've decided that my personality doesn't handle gardening so well. I'm a bit of a perfectionist with some things. My perfectionism is coming out with this garden and I feel overwhelmed some days. I hate going out there and finding weeds all over the place. I could spend everyday out there pulling weeds but then I'd never get any books read. My house would never be cleaned. My kids would be neglected. I've come to the understanding that the weeds are ok to be there for a few days. If I get to them at least 1 time during the week, that's ok.

It's kind of like what I've learned with my house. It doesn't have to be perfect all of the time. If I spent my entire day cleaning, I'd never enjoy the rest of my life. Like watching my girls draw pictures and play games together. Or seeing the cool tricks that Braydon is able to do on the trampoline. Or go rollerblading as a family! In the wind!! That's even more entertaining!

Here's a picture taken today- July 21, 2010. This is our potato plants and some of our corn.
I'm so excited for our beans and peas. They are both pole and picking them should be so much better this year! We have a whole row of zuccini (sp?) plants and I can't wait for that to start coming up!
Here's what our garden looked like over the 4th of July weekend.

I love eating out of our garden. This is our first year doing spinach and that has been fun to eat! I just can't wait for the corn to be ready!

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I'm envious of your garden - and your weeding dedication! aren't fresh veggies the best! It's the only reason to put up with the headache that garden can sometimes produce. :)

Anne said...

I am also envious of your garden. Mine hasn't produced hardly anything this year. I think next year we will be moving it away from our neighbor's tree. Major pain but I love having a garden.

Oh, and to avoid weeding, James and I lay weed barrier on the soil after he has tilled. It uses lots of garden staples but so worth it to us. We then cut circles out for the plants or rows for the seeds. I also like that I don't get muddy either.