Monday, November 24, 2008

Apple (sauce) for the pretty lady?

I put my pics on here backwards- oops! Kenzie was very impressed with how we did the applesauce. She even got in on the help!
This was the seive we used! This was a pretty cool little gadget. It spit out all of the bad stuff on one end and the applesauce came out the other!

Our apples had to steam for a little bit. The apples turned yellow and the kids couldn't figure out why but they were impressed.


I didn't need to core all the apples but I used my Pampered Chef apple slicer so I didn't have to take time to quarter all the apples! It went pretty slick that way. I had a good mess of cores though when it was done.

We started out with a sink full of apples to rinse off. Kenzie was a great help with that. I'm sure I would have finished in one day if I had helpers all day long and no meals to prepare in between my messes. It was a fun memory though.




WoW! I had no idea that applesauce could be so much fun and so much mess at the same time! My sister-in-law Amber had gotten a great deal on a box of apples- $7/box! We decided that 3 boxes would do us good! We planned to do up some of the apples, dried. I found a gal in our ward that had a dehydrator and she had a family situation happen when we wanted to borrow it! So, I decided that applesauce would be just fine for our family! We buy 2 or 3 jars of applesauce a week. My kids love to eat it with yogurt, as a snack and even on swedish pancakes! I like to put it in our pancake mix. So, after the kids left for school last week I got started on washing the apples and I was sure I could do all the boxes in 1 day! I was wrong! It only took 2 days though! Not too bad for my first time making applesauce. My kids were in heaven when they got to eat applesauce that night. Then again the next day! They told me that I did such a good job making applesauce that I should work in a restraunt! I just laughed and told them that I did own my own restraunt and they get to eat at it everyday! They didn't think that was all that funny! I feel like that some days!

5 comments:

Camille said...

I can't believe your kids didn't think you were funny telling them they get to eat at your restaurant every day! : )
Doesn't canning just make you feel good inside when all the hard work is done?
I love it!

Anne said...

I love the feeling of looking at all of my filled jars after canning. I don't like the mess I've just made but there is something very fulfilling about canning.

Brookie said...

i love you marissa, you are so sweet and i am so happy we are friends:) i canned apple sauce too this year:) its rewarding to see the end result with all your jars filled:)
looks delicious! good job, you are a good little mommy taking care of your family!

JoJo said...

Now that I have done my own applesauce I will never go back to storebought. It's so much yummier.

Unknown said...

That looks yummy. I love applesauce. Growing up we always had homemade pizza and applesause. My kids think I am crazy when I dip my pizza in applesauce. I agree with Jo, storebought it definitely not as tasty.