I have to tell you about a really good day of piano I had yesterday! I do have 20 piano students and there are days that I feel very inadequate to be teaching some of these students! They are all so fun to teach and I enjoy seeing the kids finally 'get' some of the things I've been trying to teach them for weeks in a row.
One of my students I teach on Mondays just started- yesterday was his 2nd week of piano. He is amazing in the fact that his has a very brilliant mind. His parents found out a few years ago that he has Asbergers (don't know how to spell it) which is a form of Autism. He recently got very interested in music and his parents asked if I'd be willing to teach him. We're giving it a try and he is going to catch on so quick. As we were in the middle of our lessons yesterday he stopped in the middle of one of the songs he was playing and asked,"Would you like to hear a rhyhm I made up?" I usually make my students wait to tell me their thoughts after a song is over or at the end of lessons. I was glad that I told Shandon yes. This was his rhyhm (which he made up as he was playing his song he said): "I admire Sister Pugmire" and then he gave me a hug! He then proceeded to tell me how he came up with admire and all I could do was smile!
I didn't think a lot about what he said until I got into bed last night, very tired and frustrated with myself. I know that I could put forth more effort in teaching my piano students and more effort helping my own kids succeed in different things. Lots of things were going through my head and then I thought of Shandon and his sweet way of making my day. I'm sure all of our kids and other adults that we talk too would love to hear just a few simple, positive words. They may not sound like much at the moment but it might just help someone through a rough day or lift their spirits! I'm so grateful that I get to work with so many kids under the age of 12 who aren't afraid to share a few positive words now and then. Thank you Shandon for being a wonderful piano student yesterday- even if we did talk for half of it!!
Cal & Brock
2 years ago





8 comments:
Fantastic!! I really needed that, and I so appreciate you sharing that. Does he take extra time, you needing to explain things more? Thank you again!!!
That is really neat. Would you mind traveling to Logan once a week to teach my kids? That isn't asking much is it? : )
I just heard Alphaville's Forever Young here on your blog and boy...did it take me back! Funny how music and smells can take you back to a particular time or event in your life.
I wondered about Max having Aspbergers a few years back. He seems to have outgrown some of the characteristics though...except that he is still intelligent!
How sweet Shandon is! I still remember the Primary talent show and his science experiment. It was awesome!
Wow! thanks for sharing, what a nice thing to hear!!
BTW...I love the pictures of your children on the side of the blog! Makenzie is BEAUTIFUL!! I like her hair that way...and it looks like Mayci has the same toungue action as Kaylee! :)
Cute Cute!
Thanks for making this mom's day with your post! It is so nice to hear the "good" things that Shan does. And thank you for taking him on--he is beyond thrilled about piano. "I admire Sis. Pugmire", too!
Special spirits have a way of making us smile and feeling good. We are so lucky that Heavenly Father knows our needs.
hey girl:)
can you tell your hubby i won't be at the meeting, but we made visits and all went good. i am in cascade.
i love your blog, your kids are darling!!
hey girl:)
can you tell your hubby i won't be at the meeting, but we made visits and all went good. i am in cascade.
i love your blog, your kids are darling!!
Post a Comment