Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Rolls- a simple thing to do!


Ok- I wanted to share with you a recipe that is so easy. With Thanksgiving being like, tomorrow, I'm sure most of you have opted out on being the one to make the rolls because they sound like so much work and they usually don't turn out! Well, I had a good friend from church give me this recipe and it is so wonderful! (For those who don't cook and bread is not your friend, you will be envyed by all when you make these rolls. You mother-in-law will finally be impressed with your cooking! jk)
Just a warning before making these: be prepared to add more calories to your daily intake. You can't help eating more than one of these babies! I usually try and give away half of the batch. Then I usually make another batch the next week because our rolls are gone so fast! Good luck!
Here's the recipe:

Knot Rolls
Proof:
½ c. very warm water
2 Tbls Yeast (I use the SAF yeast- I buy it from Winco in the bulk section. Very good yeast)
Pinch of sugar
Mix with a wisk:
1 C (2 sticks) melted butter or marg
¾ c sugar
2 ½ tsp. salt
4 eggs
Add yeast mixture, 2 c. very warm water and 8 c. flour
Mix well with a spoon/spatula (no mixer!!) until you can’t see the flour anymore.
Refrigerate till cold- at least 5 hours- best overnight!
2 hours before ready to serve:
Dump dough onto well floured surface. Shape into a log then roll/ squish into a rectangle shape about 6-8 in. tall by 3 feet long. Cut with pizza cutter into 36 strips. Tie each strip into a knot and place on greased cookie sheet. Let rise till double in bulk.
Bake 350 13-15 minutes. Makes 3 dozen yummy rolls!
Variations:
* Doughnuts: deep fry and glaze
* Orange Rolls: Coat with sugar and grated orange rind; frost with orange frosting
* Cinnamon Rolls: Coat with brown sugar and cinnamon; frost (I tried this and they turned out great! )
NOW- I know that some of you love your KitchenAid mixer and you think it will be easier to mix in that. You don't have to. I make these up just before going to bed, it takes about 5 minutes to do. Then the next morning, I get up and put these out on pans, let them rise and then bake them. I'll try and post pics later today of the whole process. Don't hesitate to holler if you have any questions on these! Happy baking!!!!!

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I am glad finally got blogging again!! Your applesauce looks like it turned out great...even though it seemed kinda messy! HOw fun! I love the Knot Rolls...I totally think it is the easiest thing I have ever learned to make. In fact, I offered to do rolls, since I know they will turn out! I even had a lady pay me in my ward to make cinnamon rolls for her work (using this recipe). Anytime I make them, they are a huge hit, and it is funny since they are so EASY!! So thanks for this recipe! I owe it all to YOU!! We will miss you on Thurs, but I hope you enjoy your dinner at home with the missionaries, that will be fun for you. I love ya tons, even if I do act like a brat sometimes!! :) Thanks for being my sis!

Anne said...

I want to try these but I think I will wait for the pictures. I've made Parker House rolls for years but never Knot Rolls! I'd love to see what they look like!

Cassidy said...

i can't believe how old your kids are. Blows my mind. especially little mayci. she grew up really fast. you have such a cute family.