That's when the girls came in and asked for a quarter.
"Mom, we need a quarter. Hallie has a table set up out front and she's selling cookies for a quarter. Please, mom, can we have one?"
"What kind of cookies does she have?" I asked.
"I don't know. Chocolate chip or oreos or something. PLEASE????"
I gave in and let the girls get a few quarters from my purse and asked them to get me a cookie also. I knew the mom and her reputation for good things to come from her house. If the cookie wasn't something that looked good to me, I'd save it for Justin. Besides, isn't that what a good wife would do anyway?
Well, the girls came back with a cookie for me. Not just any cookie though. The cookie of all cookies. A homemade oreo cookie. It had been sitting outside in the warm sun for a little bit and as I held it in my hand and smelled the delicious aroma, I couldn't resist. I didn't care if it came back up immediately. I was going to enjoy that bite.
That one bite turned into me devouring the whole cookie. These weren't small cookies either. I was very impressed that I felt this immediate desire to get out of bed and actually hang out with the kids. My stomach enjoyed every last morsel of the cookie and even lifted my spirits.
The boys found out about the cookies and had to hurry over to buy one for them. We all got to taste this piece of heaven, except for Justin. He was at work that day and I was obviously in a selfish mood. I didn't even think to have the kids go back to buy one for Justin. If anything, I would have sent them over to buy another one for me.
The kids told on me. Justin found out about this cookie I ate. I felt guilty right away. He said I should probably get the recipe if it's something that my belly actually likes. What a brilliant idea. I emailed this dear friend and asked for the recipe and explained my predicament.
It was Monday (maybe Tuesday) afternoon and it was a rough day. I was again, not feeling well at all. I was relaxing on the couch hoping to keep some food inside me when a plateful of these heavenly cookies were brought to our door. Not just the cookies, but the recipe also. I was so excited to see those cookies. She probably had no idea just how wonderful they tasted to me. It's hard (but probably a blessing) that I don't enjoy the treats I usually like during pregnancy. To find something that my belly actually agrees on is a miracle in itself.
Yes, I have made up a batch of cookies since I've gotten the recipe. I took most of the cookies with me to Boise and nibbled on them during our Time Out For Women and I actually felt good most of the weekend.
I'm blaming the cookies now for any extra weight I gain this pregnancy. I'm also blaming the cookies for the happiness I get each time I bite into one of these Heaven Sent cookies.
Thanks Ky!!





1 comment:
Mmmmm. I love homemade oreo cookies!
Post a Comment