Sunday, September 5, 2010

Not Our Idea of Fun

The first 2 weeks in August, Braydon, Austin and I spent M,W,F from 9 am to noon sitting in a classroom. It wasn't my idea of fun and the boys were in agreement with me. The teacher was a volunteer and spent lots of time telling stories. We watched a few videos and took a test the last day of class. We all passed! That meant that we got to go to the shooting range to finish off our Hunter's Education.

The boys and I had to show up at the Fish and Game office on a Saturday morning to prove we know how to handle a gun. We were to show how we shoot while in the sitting, kneeling, prone and standing position. If we did what we were taught, then we got to receive our Hunter's certificate!

As we got ready to go shoot, the instructor said there were only 8 guns but 9 shooters. He asked if I'd be willing to sit out the shoot since I've shot a gun before. If only the instructor really knew how many more times my boys have shot a gun more than me. I willingly let my boys shoot that morning!
Braydon had to show that he knew how to load the clip with ammo safely.
Austin had to do that also. The instructor didn't like when anyone even thought of pointing their gun in the wrong direction. They didn't shoot with real guns. They used pellet guns. A much safer thing to use since I saw how some of the kids in the class acted. I wouldn't trust being in the same room or the same field with some of those kids. My boys did good with everything they were asked to do!


They liked the prone position the best. The sitting position was the most awkward position for them to shoot from. Both boys did great at aiming and loved shooting! I was glad I got to just watch!

The expression on Austin's face says it all. These hats were not the highlight of the class! I won't have a problem wearing them while hunting, so I don't get shot, though. I'm just glad that we are done with that. Justin's glad that we can all go hunting with him this year. He's had hunting on the brain for the past 3 weeks. I wouldn't say I'm that excited but I know Austin is! Braydon has to wait another 1 1/2 years before he can go hunting.

1 comment:

The Hammers said...

At least you guys got to shoot! We had to do simulation shooting on a tv with a fake gun. No fun, I tell ya. Glad you are all certified and ready to hunt, makes me feel like I'm not the only crazy girl out there. :)