Let me tell a quick story first! I hate fishing. There is nothing that excites me about fishing. There was a time that I went with my dad, my grandma (my dad's mom), and my two sisters. We hadn't been out very long when my sister got her line stuck on a log in the middle of the river. I figured I'd be able to get it unstuck, no problem. Well, as I pulled, the pole managed to get me into the water. I thought I was going to drown. Water was rushing all around me and over my head. My dad rushed over to save me and grabbed my arm and said, "Stand up Marisa." I did as he said and realized that the water was not quite up to my waist.
My grandma, being the good woman she was, took me to our big, orange, ugly van (used for carpet cleaning at the time) and told me to take off all of my clothes so I wouldn't get sick. She wrapped me up in a blanket and I spent the time in the back of the van. We did get to go through the drive thru at Arctic Circle on the way home. I decided after that, fishing isn't much fun!
I don't want my boys to have those same feelings towards fishing. Justin isn't a big fisherman either. When my dad said he wanted to take my boys, I figured that would be a good thing. My dad likes to fish and doesn't do it often enough. He was usually coaching one of his kids in some sport and since my littlest brother has left on his mission, my dad doesn't have any kids to coach now.
He came up with some poles, vests for the boys and spent the afternoon teaching the boys what fly fishing is all about. He started with how the poles go together and all the different parts to a fly rod.
NOT ONE FISH!!! They even went during lunch to find more flies to see if there was something else the fish wanted. They just couldn't find the right flies for the fish. They saw tons of fish during the day. They were a little bummed about coming home empty handed. They blamed it on the full moon. They also found out later that flies with yellow on them would have probably worked.
Oh well. This just gives Grandpa an excuse to come up and take the boys fishing again.
I was actually glad they didn't come home with fish. They would have wanted me to cook them up for dinner and I'm not a fan of eating fish either. Maybe another time!! Anyone with a great way to cook up fish that won't stick up my house, I'm all ears!!!





No comments:
Post a Comment