Sunday, February 7, 2010

Dinner is served!

The agenda for today was- watch the Super Bowl. I had these great ideas for Day 5 and they all revolved around a 5 course meal. With it being a Sunday and Super Bowl Sunday at that, I decided to keep things simple and left the candles out of the mix. We started our dinner at 4:30 pm. Kickoff time.

1st course: 7 layer dip. What's a Super Bowl if you don't have a 7 layer dip. Austin helped make this one. We didn't make it with our favorite Avacado dip since the stores were out of it when we bought the ingredients on Saturday night. (Our favorite kind is Lighthouse Avacado dip. It is zangy and OHHHHHHHH so good!) The dip still turned out ok!
2nd course: Little Smokies! These are a favorite in our house. I just soak 'em in BBQ sauce while they heat and then we devour them. I let the kids eat them with toothpicks tonight and they were excited about that!
Our dinner was very informal. The boys were pretty much plastered to the TV for the whole game.
Just a side note. There seems to always be a bet going when it comes to the Super Bowl and my kids. Today we had another one going. Braydon & Austin were cheering for the Saints and Justin was cheering for the Colts. Whoever one got a candy bar from the loser. Well, the girls wanted in on this bet also and decided to cheer for the Saints as well. It was looking pretty good for a little bit for Justin. Then the 3rd quarter happened and it got worse as the 4th quarter progressed. Sorry Justin! Saints- 31 Colts 17. You would have thought the boys had just won the Super Bowl themselves. It was quite the celebration at our house.

Let's just say that the girls weren't into the game quite as much as the boys were! This would be how we find Madison quite often! Silly girl! Her and Kenzie wore our 3D glasses most of the day.
Course 3: Breadsticks. Let's just say that at this point we are pretty much stuffed. It's 5:30- 6:00 and we don't know how we are going to get the main course into our bellies!
Justin and I added a salad to the mix. The kids didn't think that sounded good. Oh well! I knew I should eat something decent since I wasn't going to get much of the 4th couse into my belly!
Course 4: Chicken and Stuffing casserole. Let's just say that the kids didn't get much of it into their bellies either. This is about how much each kid ate. Usually they eat a whole bowl full!
Course 5: Trifle!!!! It's not the best picture but it sure tasted good. I wish I had a clear bowl to put something like this into. It would have been a beautiful thing to look at! The kids gobbled this up at about 8:00 pm and they were exhausted. Madison just wanted to go to bed.
My kids are all curious as to what the next week will bring them. Braydon was pretty sure this was the best meal he's ever had though. They all thought it was fun to take 3 1/2 hours to eat a meal.
What a fun Super Bowl Sunday!!! Good food. Time spent with family. No fighting. Excitement! Early bedtimes. I love my family to pieces! I'm the luckiest mom/wife ever to have the kids/hubby that I have. They deserve to have days like today as often as possible!

2 comments:

Brookie said...

YUMMY!!! I WISH I HAD BEEN AT YOUR HOUSE FOR DINNER:) THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS!

Marky Mark and the Funky bunch said...

What a fun dinner! It looks like you guys had a fun time! YUMMY!