Tuesday, November 3, 2009

All in a day's work!

Friday morning we woke up early so we could get kids ready, eat breakfast and go pick up the U-Haul before 9 am. I took Justin to get the truck around 8:40 and the place wasn't open. The hours were 8-5. We decided they must be opening at 9 so we ran an errand and came back. Still no one. We decided that we'd give them a little more time so we ran to mail some things and came back. It was 9:15 and still no one. After a few phone calls and patience, someone came around 9:30. We hurried back with the truck and started to pack it.
My girls thought that this was the best lunch ever. It was like a picnic in the house.
Mayci was mad because she thought it was a PB&J but it was a sloppy joe. I hurried and made her a PB&J and life was good again.
We got a 26 ft. truck and Justin was determined to fit everything in the truck so we didn't have to take a trailer too.
If you know Justin, you know that he is the world's best packer. He can fit anything in any space. I don't know how he does it. He had that truck PACKED!!!!
I wish I had taken a picture before they unloaded the truck. We had stuff squished right up to the very end and I'm sure the door held most of it in. We had to put stuff in the van- one of the things being the dryer! We didn't quite get everything in the truck though. We had a trailer full of misc. stuff from the yard, bikes, fridge- stuff that we don't need right away. That trailer will be pulled up to us in about 2-3 weeks by a co-worker of Justin's.
The girls were great help for about the 1st hour and after that it was just fun to run around the empty house. The boys worked their tails off though. They had the truck mostly loaded by around 3 pm. All that was left was the big stuff. Piano, entertainment center, washer, dryer, fridge, freezer. Stuff like that. The Halladay's stopped by aroun 4 pm and were great help.
The kids helped us empty out the fridge and freezer in the house. Justin told the kids that the icecream needed to be thrown away or eaten. They jumped all over that! Only problem was that all of our utensils had been packed. That didn't stop them. They put their hands to good use. It was quite the sight!

Mayci even had her fair share. Kim and I just laughed!
We had everything in the truck, van and trailer and were ready to hit the road by around 7 pm. We talked about leaving that night instead of Saturday morning but we had some neighbors tell us to come and stay at their house. The Hallberg's were kind enough to get pizza ordered for both families and feed our kids while we finished some clean up of garbage. Then they let us bathe the girls and gave us beds to sleep on instead of a floor! It was so just like them. So giving!!
We headedup to bed and checked on the girls. This is what we saw. Skipper! The Hallberg's have this cat that loves to cuddle up with people and we just laughed because we knew the girls would flip to wake up to this. Sure enough, in the middle of the night, Kenzie came in saying that the cat was on her bed and it scared her. Then she complained that she couldn't go to sleep because the was having nighmares. I thought it was funny!
This was the view from the van the entire trip. Braydon was wishing that we could have had something else to look at. We left around 7 am on Saturday morning and got to IF by noon.
We had lots of help. Justin's parents and brother came. My parents came. Our friends, the Behunin's came to help too. We got the truck unloaded by about 2 pm. They were so fast. I was so not in the mood to unpack anything but I really wanted my kitchen put together before I went to bed. That was my goal and I got it done!!
We skipped Halloween though. I didn't have everything for their costumes and I felt bad but we asked the kids what they wanted to do. We could see the Trunk or Treat happening right out our window. We told the kids that if we skipped Trick or Treating, we'd go and get them their own bag of any kind of candy. They were game for that so we left during the time the kids would come to our door. We made it back in time to get kids in bed so we could make it up in time for church Sunday.
This is half of Kenzie's outfit. She was going to be a witch, along with Madison. They would have been adorable if I would have been on top of things! Oh well! Now they have play clothes.
One of my pet peeves is moving into a house that is dirty. People always say that they have cleaned the house but people don't have the same standard of clean as me. Most of the upstairs is tile or hardwood floors. The bedrooms have carpet and that's about it. Let's just say that the tile was DISGUSTING!!!!!!!! Our feet were completely black after walking on the ground. Monday morning after getting the kids to school, Justin, Mayci and I went and found some cleaners to clean the grout. Then we came home and spent a few hours on our hands and knees working on the tile in the kitchen and the laundry room. Now I just have the bathrooms to do. Our floors look so much better now!!
We have our work cut out for us with this house but it will be so much fun. The kids have already discovered how much fun hide and seek is in a 3,600 sq. ft. house instead of a 1,400 sq. ft. house. Not to mention the 1 acre out back to play in.

No comments: