Sunday, November 29, 2009

Deck the Halls

My kids were just excited as I was to put the tree up this year. I haven't put up any other decorations yet in my house and so I figured that before I put up all of my other decorations, I'd start with the Christmas ones. The kids didn't have school on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday so I let the boys bring the boxes upstairs that held all of our decor. We started with the Chritmas tree and it went up really fast this year. The kids did all of the fluffing of the tree. Austin was a great help and he fixed all of the lights on the tree. We had about 3 strands that weren't working just right. He got all of them working. Then I helped get all of the decorations on. The girls were good at this part. I did have to supervise a little more on this part. There were too many decorations sitting at the bottom of the tree. We used to go and get a real tree the day after Thanksgiving. I love a real tree . I think when we have the basement finished, we'll have a tree downstairs and a tree upstairs. Then the kids can have their own tree to decorate and I can have my really fancy one. For now, it's a mixture of both. We've had these same decorations for 13 years now and I really want new ones. Hopefully next year I'll get my new decorations. My kids knew exactly what to do with all of the different parts of the tree. We had the Christmas music going pretty loud. I love listening to Mannheim Steamroller during the holidays. It brings back all of the memories of when I was little. During the holidays, we'd always have music playing while we made goodies, played card games and put puzzles together. I hope my kids have the same fun memories!


They worked so good together! I had to check a couple of times to make sure that it was really my kids that were in there putting the Christmas tree up.
The final product. The kids couldn't wait for it to get dark so they could plug the tree lights in. I will admit, I like it when it's dark and the house is quiet, except for the Christmas music playing. It's even better when I get my hubby to sit down on the couch next to me and we just sit curled up in a blanket. Maybe some hot cocoa and just get to talk. I'm ok without the talking. It's just very peaceful to have that time to ponder. I love this time of year so much. There are just so many good memories of time spent with family that come with the season. I'm going to make sure that I enjoy each day of December and make some fun new memories with my kids! Maybe some fun new traditions, too.

1 comment:

Marky Mark and the Funky bunch said...

The tree looks great! You're lucky you have good "fluffers" At my house most of the fluffing is done by me!